At this time, the Ottawa County Department of Public Health does not have a recommendation to postpone, reschedule or cancel outdoor activities because there have been no local animal or human cases in Ottawa County. Ottawa County is not participating in mosquito spraying for EEE because Ottawa County has no local animal or human EEE cases.
Ottawa County Parks will continue to offer programming and volunteer workdays as scheduled; most of our programming takes place in the morning and afternoon.
The best way to prevent EEE is to avoid bites from mosquitoes:
- Avoid being outdoors from dusk to dawn.
- Apply insect repellents that contain the active ingredient DEET.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors.
- Maintain window and door screening to help keep mosquitoes outside.
- Empty water from mosquito breeding sites around the home.
- Use nets and/or fans over outdoor eating areas.